Study Skill : Note Taking Techniques, Tips and Strategies
Information presented in class often contains the central concepts of the course and the material most likely to be included on exams. Yet, students frequently do not realize the importance of note taking and listening. The following resources provide tips on how to recall more information from your lectures through active listening and purposeful note taking. In addition, lecture notes can be a critical tool for preparing for exams. Suggestions are provided for how to use your notes regularly to review. The key is to develop a system that enables you to:
* review regularly,.
* recite (repeating key concepts from class)
* reflect (connecting class ideas to other notes and readings)
Effective note taking is one of the keys to succeeding in school. Students should devote a considerable amount of time reviewing information discussed during classroom lectures. It is very difficult remembering specific details from classroom lectures without good notes.
These note taking strategies will help you to take better notes:
* Make clear and accurate notes
Make sure to take legible and accurate notes since it is not uncommon to forget key details discussed in class after it has ended. Frequently, students comprehend the teacher’s lecture, so they’ll neglect to jot down specific details only to forget them later. Students who keep accurate notes can review them later to fully grasp key concepts during personal study time. Additionally, since during classroom lectures teachers frequently cover many topics; effective notes enable students to concentrate on specific topics.
* Come to class prepared
Students properly prepared for class usually takes better notes. Proper preparation includes completing assigned reading prior to class and reviewing notes from previous lectures. Students who do this can ask questions about confusing concepts and be prepared for new topics.
* Compare your notes
To ensure your notes are as accurate and detailed as possible, compare them with the notes of other students after class is over. This is useful because your colleagues will frequently write down lecture details that you forgot or missed. This strategy will make classroom notes more thorough and precise.
* Minimize distractions
Effective note takers avoid classroom distractions. This can include sitting in spots with fewer distractions and not signing up for classes with friends that you might want to make comments to during lectures. Some students sit in spots where it is difficult to constantly glance at the clock.
* Organize your notes
Notes organized by date, class, and subject make it easier to locate specific lecture details. It is also a good idea to keep information from different dates and classes separated or beginning each class with a new piece of paper.
* Use abbreviations and symbols
Since teachers usually cover a lot of information during each lecture, it can be hard jotting everything down. This is why it is a good idea to use symbols or abbreviate long words and write short phrases in your notes. Many students use these symbols and abbreviations while taking notes: & (and), w/o (without), eg (for example), ie (that is). When utilizing abbreviations, create a key of your most commonly used abbreviations, so you will not forget them.
* Write clearly Effective notes will be of no benefit if they’re unreadable. This is why it is important to use good penmanship when taking notes. It is also recommend to leave space in margins and near key concepts in your notepad, so you can add important details related to previous lecture topics in future lectures.
* Review your notes
In order to retain information discussed during lectures, it is best to review notes right after class. This will help you better understand the lecture, your notes, and it will enable you to focus on what you just learned for long-term retention.
* Write down questions
No matter how intelligent someone is all college students will be confused and have questions during college. For this reason, it is a good idea to write down questions to ask after class or during subsequent lectures. You can also answer your own questions through a web search or using reference books.
If you want to increase the effectiveness of your studying, you must learn how to keep good notes. This has been the formula for success of many students. শিক্ষা সংক্রান্ত খবরাখবর নিয়মিত পেতে রেজিস্ট্রেশন করুন অথবা Log In করুন।
Submit Your Comments:
- জাতীয় হৃদরোগ ফাউন্ডেশনে 'কার্ডিওভাসকুলার ডিজেজ' বিষয়ক কোর্সে ভর্তি
- স্নাতক (সম্মান) ভর্তি: কোটার মেধা তালিকা প্রকাশ ২১ নভেম্বর
- বরিশালে এইচএসসিতে বৃত্তি পাচ্ছেন ৫৯৩ শিক্ষার্থী
- বেরোবি ভর্তি পরীক্ষার সব ইউনিটের ফল প্রকাশ
- স্নাতক (সম্মান) ভর্তির ২য় রিলিজ স্লিপের আবেদন শুরু ১৯ নভেম্বর
- কুয়েট খুলবে রবিবার; স্থগিত মিছিল-মিটিং
- আরবি ভাষা দিবস উপলক্ষে রচনা প্রতিযোগিতার আয়োজন
- প্রাণিসম্পদ ও মাৎস্য সেক্টরে দক্ষ জনবল তৈরিতে বাউবি'র প্রশিক্ষণ কোর্স
- কুবিতে ভর্তির সাক্ষাৎকার শুরু ২৪ নভেম্বর
- কুবির ভর্তি পরীক্ষার ফল প্রকাশ
- Full free scholarship offering for study Bachelor and Graduate level in China
- আহ্ছানউল্লা বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের ভর্তিপরীক্ষা ১৯ নভেম্বর
- অনার্স দ্বিতীয় বর্ষ পরীক্ষার সংশোধিত সূচি প্রকাশ
- কুবির ভর্তি পরীক্ষার ফল ১২ নভেম্বর
- শাবিপ্রবির ভর্তি কার্যক্রম শুরু ১২ নভেম্বর